-->

February 02, 2013

January GlossyBox


Glossybox came in the mail Thursday! I was super excited as the theme was "Globally Inspired: In January 2013 embark on a exploration of International Beauty".  Sounds pretty promising doesn't it?

Well, I've read the reviews that came out just a day or so before my box arrived and I was disappointed. When someone on Facebook asked about the theme (and maybe they misunderstood it), Glossybox replied by saying that the sub-theme was "Winter Skincare" and that "Since we're representing Canada, our Glossbox reflected the harsh winters we endure with some ultra moisturizing products".

Wow. Not what I was expecting at all. Actually, I don't think anyone was expecting this. Now, if these were new products (not repeats) and moisturizing products from around the world, then it'd be ok.  But it's not.

Here are two other GlossyBoxes from around the world that had more-or-less the "Globally Inspired theme. The links lead to their January boxes, however you may have to Translate to see the description of the boxes, which are "A World of Beauty" and "On the Trail of Global Beauty". 
Spain    Germany

As I mentioned above, some of these products are repeat products. Lots of speculations about this. I have to agree with what a lot of people are thinking: That they had some extras and had to move them out of their warehouse, so why not throw some of those in the boxes?  Curel, Vitabath, Be Fine, B. Kamins, Beauty So Clean, Alessandro and Elizabeth Grant are all from previous boxes.  One can argue that I didn't receive many duplicates (only one item in my box is a repeat item, however that 1 item, I've gotten it from one of their previous boxes), but it does look bad on their part.

Anyways, here's what I received:

Curel Hand & Cuticle Cream
I already own this. I have way too many hand creams. This will probably go into a swap.
Full Size: $3.99


Burt's Bees Milk & Honey Body Lotion
Another item that I have way too much of. Plus I'm not a big fan of Burt's Bees.
Estimated value: $1.91


Nivea Essential
Other than the fact that I'm pretty sure you can get this at Dollarama, it's ok. I do like lip care products.
Full Size: $2.00


Wella Brilliance Leave In Mousse
I only really use curling mousse and my hairs a little short for a nice sleep ponytail or braids. Someone did mention that it's more like a leave-in conditioner. I'll give it a try, but Wella didn't do a good job at making that clear.
Full Size: $17.99


Too Faced Lip Injection Extreme
Holy cow is this ever tiny! It's so small, that it doesn't have the size listed on it anywhere. The total height of it is about the length of my thumb. I'm going to guess that it's maybe 1/5 of the full size?
Estimated value: $5.60  (really can't guess without a size)


Total estimated value:$31.40

I tested the Too Faced Lip Injection Extreme. OMG. Does it ever burn.  If you've read my blog, you know that I like the tingling feeling of some lip products that claim to plump. This was border line unbearable for me. It burned so much it caused an almost itchy sensation. If it lasted any longer, I was going to wash it off. After a few minutes, the feeling went away.

I've read some reviews online and some people are ranting & raving about how amazing this product is. While I don't think my lips need any kind of injections, I personally don't see much of a difference. Only difference is that they appear redder. Possibly because of the blood rushing to the burning sensation. Maybe someone who has thinner lips would benefit more. But the amount of pain and the price isn't worth this product for me.


Overall, the box was very meh. Disappointing. I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but I'm sure lots of people would agree with me when I say that we get these subscription boxes because we want to try new products that we haven't tried before. Repeat products doesn't help. Products that you can pick up at the dollar store doesn't really help either.

February will be my last month with GlossyBox. I would have cut it at January's box, but I'll be honest, February is GlossyBox.ca's 1-year birthday. I'm really hoping that they are going to wow us. Through their teaser video, we know that we'll be getting the Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment (approx 30ml?) So, I know there will be 1 product that I like.

Have you tried Glossybox?  What are your thoughts?

*hugz*
-Sam

11 comments:

  1. Oh my god was I ever disappointed with this box, it was complete and utter horses&*t

    Seriously, this was even worse than the couple of Glymm bags I got which were just uninteresting to me. But I guess you have to take the good with the bad and sometimes you get really good products. That lip injection stuff, tiny I know, but it burns :/ and not a good burn when I applied it, ick!

    Hopefully next month will better.. I hope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping! But honestly, they've already lost me. The stories I'm hearing about the deleted posts on FB, the expired stuff, etc... I'm done after feb. They don't seem to be consistent (well, I suppose consistently crap, but that's not a good thing)

      Delete
  2. Dec was so bad I could not stay subbed after all their lies, lies and more lies.
    And sending me expired replacement products??

    http://www.prettytastyreviews.blogspot.ca/2013/01/glossybox-canada-dec-2012-discontinued.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expired Replacement products? Oh great! I guess I know what to expect for my replacement product.

      Delete
  3. Those are good pictures of the Too Faced test, but you're right, if it stings and burns too much, it's probably not worth it. Glossy has to really do better, especially since they're the one box sub we can actually directly compare country to country. And it's not really cutting it in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Some of the other countries' boxes are 10X better than ours. I think the GlossyBox head marketing team (Germany I think?) need to come to Canada to teach GB how it's done. Japan, Brazil, UK, Paris even Israel have better boxes than we do!

      Delete
  4. this box didn't really wow me .. Most of the products i have seen in my past boxes while they are good products and i will use them it would have ultimately been nice to see more new products or products i havent seen in the box already. You scared me away from trying thr lip injection stuff now!! I dont own any lip plumppers and dont feel i really need them so im not sure about it lol.

    romanianbutterfly206.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no Ashley, you don't need lip plumpers. I almost want to try to convince you to give it a try, but that's almost cruel.

      Delete
  5. Wow,Span and Germany's boxes are SO MUCH BETTER! Wish we could get those boxes instead, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'd be really awesome if for 1 month, we were able to select a different Country to get our box from. Hmmm... Japan maybe? Paris?

      Delete
  6. Awe!! Thanks Priscilla! Time to get crakin' on this :)

    ReplyDelete